The Cathedral of the Holy Spirit was established as a parish church back in May 25, 1969. It was founded in 1958 with around 1000 parishioners.
The Cathedral of the Holy Spirit was established as a parish church back in May 25, 1969. It was founded in 1958 with around 1000 parishioners. Masses were held at the canteen of the Convent Green Lane and the church took 10 years to complete. On Jan 20, 2003, it was dedicated as the Cathedral of the Diocese of Penang.
Its history as a Roman Catholic cathedral dates back to 1958 where Father M. Surmon was asked by Rt. Rev. Francis Chan the Bishop of Penang to establish a Catholic community in Greenlane area.
The cathedral status was transferred from the former Cathedral of Assumption to the Cathedral of the Holy Spirit in 2003. The Rite of Dedication was held on Jan 20, 2003 and was blessed by Antony Selvanayagam who was the Bishop of Penang at that point of time.
One can find beautiful stained glasses in this cathedral. 4 were added in the year 2004, titled the Baptism of the Lord, Transfiguration of the Lord, The Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary and The Glorious Mysteries of the Rosary. The centerpiece of the cathedral sanctuary is the Pentecost scene made of byzantine tiles.