Bujang Valley (Lembah Bujang) is home to an archaeological museum exhibiting collections and ruins which evidence the existence of a thriving civilisation in this area from the 3rd to the 14th centuries AD. Lembah Bujang was called 'Nusantara' and its strategic position was known to traders from China, India and the Middle East.
They say that if you launch a boat from the Coramandel Coast of Southern India and allow it to drift along with the natural currents, it would eventually wash ashore on this stretch of the Malaysian peninsula, close to Kedah Peak (Gunung Jerai) which has acted as a landmark and navigational aid to sailors for centuries.
The architectural remains and cultural artefacts found at Bujang Valley and the surrounding area prove that a Hindu-Buddhist civilisation existed here until the early 1100's.
In 1864, Colonel James Low started digging around in this area. Subsequent research during the period 1936-1939 by H.G.Quaritch Wales and his wife Dorothy documented 30 candi sites here. The word candi (pronounced Chandi) refers to Hindu and Buddhist architecture dating from before the coming of Islam. The word is derived from Chandika, the wife of Lord Siva.
More discoveries were made and research carried out in the following decades.